Perpetually Unfinished
Thursday, December 15, 2005
 

Holiday Cookies, December 2005
Originally uploaded by brittgm.
Just one more week. Seven more days. I don't know if I can make it, but I'll try. My brain is frazzled, I'm constantly on edge, and damn, I need this vacation.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but these past couple months have been crazy. I have spent at least part of 22 of the last 40 days away from home. I could handle the travel if that's all it was. But no. There's also the completely self-imposed stress of a November of novelling followed by a December of catch-up holiday baking and shopping and card-writing, so that for the last six weeks the imposing spectre of Being Behind on Things That Must Get Done has been looking over my shoulder at all times. (Like now. I totally should be writing holiday cards instead of this. I got half of them out on Monday, but I've still got 10 more to go, and I shouldn't send them any later than Saturday. Damn.) Then, of course, there's conveniently-timed extra work stress, some worrying stress around a health issue (thankfully positively resolved), and, of course, the stress of still not knowing what city Alex and/or I will be living in come January (yes, the January that's two weeks away).

So, yeah. I've not been exactly at the top of my game lately. I've been doing things like dropping the ball for weeks on returning e-mails, and spending hours at work trying to be productive but finding that the harder I try the more I end up staring blankly into space, and making stupid poorly-thought-out plans which probably have resulted in my painstakingly-made cookies being pulverized in the mail, and writing dull and whiny entries like this one. Yay!

Let's see. Is there anything redeeming I can tack on here? I could talk about the weather (gee, there's nothing like 10 degree days to make you feel like 30 degree days are practically tropical!), or the holiday presents I've picked out (I'm actually quite pleased with several of them, let's hope the recipients are too), or my writing and the ideas I have for my next endeavour (I have the sneaking suspicion I will go on and on about this at a later date, but not tonight).

Instead, why don't we end this while we're not too far behind, shall we? I blame the fact that my brain is melted and is dripping out my ears. Check in next time, and I promise, I'll be charming and witty or at least modestly interesting. For now, happy holidays!
 
Comments: Post a Comment
Nature attains perfection, but man never does. There is a perfect ant, a perfect bee, but man is perpetually unfinished. He is both an unfinished animal and an unfinished man. It is this incurable unfinishedness which sets man apart from other living things. For, in the attempt to finish himself, man becomes a creator. Moreover, the incurable unfinishedness keeps man perpetually immature, perpetually capable of learning and growing.
--Eric Hoffer





Links
Andrew
Colleen
Katie
Kim
Kyle
Malavika (and the rest of The Quitters)
Matt
Meredith
Shannon
Tamica

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant

ARCHIVES

July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 /

Powered by Blogger