Perpetually Unfinished
Sunday, May 23, 2004
 
Just another strange week in this strange quarter. Pick a bit of it, try to write about it, lather, rinse, repeat...

There's a lot that could be written about Peace Project stuff, but maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Somehow it's always more tempting to write about me me me.

Life has been up and down, like always. The good and the bad, emotionally. I wish it wasn't almost summer; I am starting to feel the clock ticking, an external pressure and worry just when I am beginning to hold my own against the internal ones. It ratchets up the desire for more, when emotionally I ought to be focusing on feeling content.

In general, I don't come off much like who I really am, I think. So many times recently, people who are getting to know me better have been surprised about something or other that I'd never have thought they'd see as unlike me. I really wish that wasn't the case, because despite how insecure I am, I actually do feel like I'm a pretty good person and friend. My self-esteem isn't too bad-- it's just that I have very little confidence in my ability to convince anyone else that I'm a person worth knowing and caring about, because I feel like I come across as dull and awkward and annoying. So I worry that people don't like me, but it's not because I think they shouldn't like me, but because they have no reason to know that they ought to like me. I'm not insecure about who I am, but who I seem to be. Does that make sense? I end up feeling all this pressure, thinking, "I know so-and-so and I could be great friends. I'd like it for us to be close, and I feel pretty confident that he would too, if he knew what I was really like. But he doesn't know! Because it takes me fucking forever to warm up enough to people to really be myself! So I'm the only one who knows how nice it would be if we were good friends, and if I don't find a way to convince him of that, we never will be." Which is, of course, a recipe for awkward disaster. Or, at the very least, an extra obstacle to interacting comfortably and naturally.

I don't know. I've got to get better at this eventually, right? Recently I've been pushing myself more than I have in a while. It's hard to feel sure it's helping, since it's all so two-steps-forward-one-step-back, but I'm pretty sure it is. But my comfort level with people comes and goes in waves, I think, and I can't for the life of me figure out how or why. Sometimes I am uptight and nervous and analyze every moment of every little interaction; another day, or even in the same evening, I can be relaxed and comfortable and at ease, interacting with people and really feeling like friends even though the last time I talked to them I walked away convinced that they'd rather never have anything to do with me if it could be conveniently arranged. I wish I understood it better.

I went through many different moods at the co-op party last night. But during one of them, I remember feeling very strongly that I should just let go and love people without worrying if they'll love me back. (Is love the right word? I don't know; sometimes I feel like it is. I did at the time.) Maybe that's the way to go. I mean, outside of odd 20-minute moods, it's really hard to love someone and genuinely not care what they think of you; possibly it's impossible. But it's more about the focus, I guess. Less on me, and more on the people I care about. That's what I need.
 
Comments: Post a Comment
Nature attains perfection, but man never does. There is a perfect ant, a perfect bee, but man is perpetually unfinished. He is both an unfinished animal and an unfinished man. It is this incurable unfinishedness which sets man apart from other living things. For, in the attempt to finish himself, man becomes a creator. Moreover, the incurable unfinishedness keeps man perpetually immature, perpetually capable of learning and growing.
--Eric Hoffer





Links
Andrew
Colleen
Katie
Kim
Kyle
Malavika (and the rest of The Quitters)
Matt
Meredith
Shannon
Tamica

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant

ARCHIVES

July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 /

Powered by Blogger