Perpetually Unfinished
Monday, May 17, 2004
 
I have been so moody, recently. My emotions are all over the place, dragging me behind them like a fallen rider tangled in the reins of a runaway horse. I feel that battered sometimes, too. But only when I'm being overdramatic. (Unfortunately, that's far more often than it should be.)

I wrote a whole moody entry on Wednesday night, a few hours after bursting into tears in the girls' bathroom at Norris, before thinking better of posting it. It made me feel better to write it, but it wasn't necessarily the best thing to put online. It was all about how I always end up comparing myself with Naureen and feeling lousy and incompetent, but it came off sounding a lot more like I had a problem with her-- which I don't-- instead of talking about how my issues obviously have a lot more to do with myself. Perhaps I'll edit it at some point and put it in my journal, but I was far too swept up in the feelings that night to write anything other than an un-nuanced outpouring of emotion.

Then, tonight, I belatedly brought Kyle his birthday cupcakes and chatted for a little while, and then I was going to do some SCFC petitioning at PARC. But as I walked up to the front door, I found myself feeling utterly miserable and couldn't imagine going door to door talking to people for hours. So I fled to the benches by Fisk overlooking South Beach for a little while, staring out at the lake, trying to get a handle on my emotions. I want so strongly, sometimes. I want to love and be loved. I want connections with people, deep powerful friendships. And for god's sake, I just want wanting to stop messing with my heart and mind so that I can function like a normal human being.

After a few minutes of sitting on the bench, feeling lonely, I sort of impulsively decided that if I wasn't going to get petitions signed that night, I wasn't going to go home and spend hours moping and overthinking, either. So I stopped by Sheppard and called up to Lexi's room, but she wasn't there. Then I gave Peter a call, and ended up spending several hours up in his room, reading a little but also talking quite a lot. It was a completely random thing to do, and it was really, really good for me. It was just very easy to feel perfectly comfortable hanging around and talking about all sorts of silly things with Peter. I left with a smile on my face and my thoughts and feelings settled down where they belong. Now if they'd only stay there...
 
Comments: Post a Comment
Nature attains perfection, but man never does. There is a perfect ant, a perfect bee, but man is perpetually unfinished. He is both an unfinished animal and an unfinished man. It is this incurable unfinishedness which sets man apart from other living things. For, in the attempt to finish himself, man becomes a creator. Moreover, the incurable unfinishedness keeps man perpetually immature, perpetually capable of learning and growing.
--Eric Hoffer





Links
Andrew
Colleen
Katie
Kim
Kyle
Malavika (and the rest of The Quitters)
Matt
Meredith
Shannon
Tamica

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant

ARCHIVES

July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 /

Powered by Blogger