Perpetually Unfinished
Sunday, August 10, 2003
 
Well, it's been both a pleasant and a productive Saturday. Besides swimming laps up at SPAC (yes, the walk all the way up and back is a hassle, but I'm quite pleased that I've finally found a form of exercise that agrees with me), doing dishes and straightening up, finally getting the books up on Half.com that I'd been meaning to list for a while, and trying and succeeding at cooking myself a salmon dinner (they've got frozen salmon steaks at Whole Foods that are actually reasonably priced!), I finally got a load of laundry done.

That's not as easy as it may sound. The building I'm in this summer doesn't have laundry machines, and it's not like there's a laundromat easily accessible in downtown Evanston, at least not one I know of. I don't know anyone who lives close enough who has laundry in their building I might use. I was going to go with my roommate and do laundry in her friend's apartment building two weekends ago, but somehow it never came to pass. Then, I had the brilliant idea to simply bring my laundry up to 2026 Maple, let myself into the basement, and do it there.

However, I was too busy last weekend to get laundry done, and so by this past week, I was down to the very last pieces of clothing I could get my hands on, and doing a wash became desperate. Luckily, Saturday finally arrived, and so I stuck my laundry bag into a suitcase, grabbed a good book, and wheeled it 12 minutes away to good old 2026.

It was only after I had put the clothes in the washer and poured in my sample single-load packet of detergent that I tried to start the wash-- and it wouldn't work. I panicked, checked all the settings. They all seemed to be fine. "Pull to start, push to stop." I pulled and pushed and pushed and pulled on the dial. The pointer on the dial was pointing directly at the "Cycle Over" indicator. I tried to turn it to the beginning of the cycle. It clicked as though it were moving, but the arrow pointed at the same spot. Is it just the arrow that's defective? I thought. Push, pull. Nope. I threw all of my strength into pushing and turning, climbing to sit on top of the washer to get better leverage. The arrow stubbornly refused to budge. What could I do? My dirty, detergent-covered laundry was sitting in the washer, and I had no idea where I could bring it, and I needed these clothes. And furthermore, this seemed to indicate that we would have no working washing machine in our building all year next year. This sucked!

It was at this point that I suddenly, in frustration, tried to turn the dial clockwise. It merrily spun around to the proper setting, and when I pulled, I heard the familiar sound of water pouring in as the washer began to do its work. I stared at the washing machine for a while, and tried to come to terms with the fact that because you turn the dial on the washer at home counter-clockwise, it had taken me 10 minutes of frustration to even think of trying the other direction.

Then I sat down in the basement, pulled out A Tree Grows in Brooklyn(which I am loving so far), and rested from my ordeal.
 
Comments: Post a Comment
Nature attains perfection, but man never does. There is a perfect ant, a perfect bee, but man is perpetually unfinished. He is both an unfinished animal and an unfinished man. It is this incurable unfinishedness which sets man apart from other living things. For, in the attempt to finish himself, man becomes a creator. Moreover, the incurable unfinishedness keeps man perpetually immature, perpetually capable of learning and growing.
--Eric Hoffer





Links
Andrew
Colleen
Katie
Kim
Kyle
Malavika (and the rest of The Quitters)
Matt
Meredith
Shannon
Tamica

Official NaNoWriMo 2005 Participant

ARCHIVES

July 2003 / August 2003 / September 2003 / October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / October 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 /

Powered by Blogger